Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sometimes You Have to Make a New Plan

Today I was lucky enough to find a tri-tip roast at Wegmans. A tri-tip is a tender, fairly inexpensive cut of beef from the bottom of the sirloin. It is very popular in California, where I lived until I was thirty-two. Since moving to Upstate New York, I have begged the butchers at the grocery to order them, and they have told me they were unavailable. That is if they had heard of them at all. I have found them at a few smaller specialty meat stores in Rochester. So I was happily surprised when I found one at Wegmans today. I plucked it up and dropped it into my cart. I thought I would make Barbecued Tri-tip with Carmelized Onions and Red Wine Barbecue Sauce. I grabbed some baby romaine and a pear to make a quick salad with some blue cheese I had in the fredge at home, and some carrots and parsnips to roast in olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme along with the potatoes I still had from the farm co-op produce from last week. I even considered making a quick foccacia from scratch because Ben is home for a while and he loves it.

When I got home, I dragged the kids out to help prepare the driveway to be sealed tomorrow. They all lasted about twenty minutes, so I worked for two hours and did it all by myself.

We ordered pizza.

2 comments:

Laura K said...

Oh, I feel your pain....

That is SO my life with my little halflings. Short attention spans. And SOMEtimes my cooking suffers.

Ok, well, ALL the time.

: )

Laura

Anonymous said...

I love the pizza idea. I can DO that.
Stephanie