Thursday, June 11, 2009

Okay, Okay.

Alright, so I haven't posted in six months. Do you think it's easy being the arbiter of all things worthy of consumption? I got overwhelmed. The job, the son going to Iraq, the daughter getting married, my camera broke. Just overwhelmed. But here I am. Maybe.

A friend is giving a party in my honor and is justifiably terrified of what I will think. So far, everything I have had of hers is good, so she shouldn't be too worried. Last night I witnessed her make smashed potatoes with real butter and real heavy cream, so right there it shows that she is most likely at least a competent cook. Who knows what I would have said if she had pulled out margarine and skim milk. A vein might have burst in my head right then and there.

So, she show me her menu and it looks good. She has a variety of appetizers, (people who don't serve appetizer annoy me) she took my suggestions as far as main course goes, it's all looking good. I just have one suggestion for her: ditch the mediocre macaroni salad and serve this awesome Asian cabbage slaw instead. It is easy and people will swoon.

Crunchy Napa Cabbage Slaw

3/4 C slivered almonds
8 C shredded napa cabbage
2 oz thinly sliced snow peas
1 1/3 C thinly sliced radishes
1 1/3 C thinly sliced green onions
1 13 C lightly packed cilantro

Creamy soy dressing
3 T white wine vinegar
3 T sugar
1 T soy sauce
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 C mayonnaise

For dressing combine wine vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, ginger, and cayenne in a small bowl stirring until sugar dissolves. Gradually whisk in mayonnaise

Toast almonds 6-9 minutes in a 350 degree oven until golden. Combine cabbage, snow peas, radishes, green onion, and cilantro. Add dressing and almonds , mix gently to coat. Pour into a serving bowl.

I have substituted peanuts for the almonds and liked it just as much if not more. This is a great summer salad.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Sounds yummy. Will YOU make it? :-)
Or, how far in advance do you think *I* make it? Because you know I will be working my fingers to the bone for days in advance to get it all just right.

The Mendon Foodie said...

I will be very glad to make it, and my VERY famous potato salad as well.

Anonymous said...

It's not like a regular cole slaw as far as holding up. You could make it without dressing but after the dressing it is only good for a few hours. Mom

Anonymous said...

I forgot, it i better to blanch the snow peas and take the raw edge off.