Thursday, February 11, 2010

Something funny happened on the way to the kitchen...

Funny cooking story of the day, from my cousin, Julie in Cali:

Tonight I tried a new recipe, Turkey Noodle Casserole from Rachael Ray, topped with gruyere and breadcrumbs. I put it in the broiler to melt the cheese/brown the crumbs. Had it too close to the heat so the breadcrumbs burned. I thought I 'd scrape them off. Hubby gets the idea to try the Shop Vac. It was working until ...he got "greedy" and sucked up a 4th of the cheesy topping.

This was so funny I almost cried. Of course there are more things wrong with this than just the visual of her husband sucking cheese with a shop vac, but that mental picture makes me laugh so hard. Shop vac and casserole do not belong in the same context. Almost any Rachel Ray recipe is annoying, mostly because she is annoying. Turkey Noodle casserole must be bad, just from the name. (I just googled it. I think I might gag just from reading the recipe.) Make it if you want to make something disgusting. I am still laughing so hard I can't even think of a good alternative to this vile concoction.

And a note to those of you who can't remember the definition of roasting (and you know who you are):Roasting anything is always done in an open pan in a nice, hot oven. Covering anything you want to roast results in steaming, not roasting, you dweeb. But hey, that's what I'm here for. Now to figure out what to do about my cousin... 

No comments: