Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Best Chocolate Pudding Ever

We have been chocolate deprived around here for a while.

I haven't been baking, all the Christmas goodies are gone and I just don't buy packaged cookies, but you knew that.

I was thinking today while driving  Hannah home from the orthodontist that I might have to bake some chocolate chip cookies today, but that just didn't seem to ignite my fire.

What I really wanted was something creamy.

I thought about making chocolate mousse. The last time I made chocolate mousse, I think I used every bowl in my kitchen. I didn't have the energy to wash that many bowls.

Then I had an "Aha!" moment.

What would be creamy and delicious, not that far off from chocolate mousse and not use every bowl I own? Why chocolate pudding of course!

I found this recipe. I made it. Because I could. And because I had all the ingredients already in the house. You probably do, too. So make it.

(I don't keep whole milk in the house all the time, so I used 2 cups 2% milk and 1 c cream, which I do keep in the house all the time)

Silky Chocolate Pudding
Adapted from John Scharffenberger
Serves 6
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole milk
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped ( I used toll house chocolate chips, augmented with some milk chocolate chips to give it more milk chocolately-ness, but you could use bittersweet if you like dark chocolate.
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (Don't even think about using the artificial crap.)
1. Combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt in the top of a double boiler. Whisk in the milk with a wire whisk. Place over simmering water and stir occasionally, scraping the bottom and sides. Use a whisk as necessary should lumps begin to form. After 15 to 20 minutes, when the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of the spoon, add the chocolate. Continue stirring for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until the pudding is smooth and thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
2. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer (or skip this step if you’re a slacker like me who is absolutely certain that there is nary a lump her puddin’) into a serving bowl or into a large measuring cup with a spout and pour into individual serving dishes.
3. If you like pudding skin, pull plastic wrap over the top of the serving dish(es) before refrigerating. If you dislike pudding skin, place plastic wrap on top of the pudding and smooth it gently against the surface before refrigerating. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days (ahem, good luck with that).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nom...I've made this before and yes, the real vanilla is critical. nom nom nom.